Kottarainen Block

Brief building history survey

Project description:

The Kottarainen block, bordered by Eerikinkatu, Albertinkatu, Kalevankatu and Abrahaminkatu, differs from the district structure of the inner city of Helsinki in terms of its scale and temporal diversity. The oldest buildings in the block are three wooden houses built in the 1840s, opposite which are the red brick educational buildings designed by Onni Tarjanne for the Department of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering of the Helsinki University of Technology from the 1920s to the 1930s. The building history survey of plot 33 was commissioned by the City of Helsinki Premises Centre. The buildings are planned to be heritage listed in the updated masterplan of the block. 

Kottarainen Block Building History Survey

Project info:

Building History Survey
Year:2015
Client:City of Helsinki Premises Centre
Authors: Minna Lukander, Mira Kyllönen,
Carlos Lopez
Cover photo:The Electrical Engineering laboratory photographed from the corner of Albertinkatu and Eerikinkatu. The Mechanical Engineering laboratory is also visible along Eerikinkatu. TKKA.
Building
Year:Kalevankatu 37 in 1925
Kalevankatu 39, 41
and 43 in the 1840s
Albertinkatu 40-42
in 1925
Eerikinkatu 36 in 1933
Location:Kamppi, Helsinki
Size:Altogether approx. 17 300 m2
Architect:Albertinkatu 40-42 and Eerikinkatu 36
Onni Tarjanne